Pennsylvania drivers’ licenses and state IDs must be REAL ID compliant as of Oct 1, PennDOT officials say, in order to bring state-issued identification in line with federal regulations
Beginning in October, commonwealth issued drivers’ licenses and state IDs that are not REAL ID compliant will no longer be recognized as identification by federal officials.
REAL IDs will now be needed to fly domestically and access federal related facilities.
Drivers’ licenses that are not REAL ID compliant continue to still be accepted for driving after Oct. 1.
Other forms of ID that will be accepted to fly or get into a federal building include a U.S. passport or a military ID.
PennDOT officials say they expect approximately 1.3 million Pennsylvanian’s will get a REAL ID before enforcement of new federal policy
A REAL ID has a one-time fee of $30, plus a renewal fee. The current renewal fee is $30.50 for a four-year, non-commercial driver’s license, $31.50 for a photo ID.
To get a REAL ID you will need the following documents:
- Proof of identity: Original or certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the State Office of Vital Records/Statistics with a raised seal/embossed or valid, unexpired, U.S. passport
- Proof of Social Security Number: Social Security card, in current legal name
- Two proofs of current, physical Pennsylvania address: Current, unexpired Pennsylvania driver’s license or identification card, vehicle registration or a utility bill with the same name and address
- Proof of all legal name changes (if applicable): Certified marriage certificate(s) issued by the County Court for each marriage, court order(s) approving a change in legal name, or amended birth certificate issued by the State Office of Vital Records/Statistics
There are three ways to get a REAL ID:
- If you’ve been pre-verified, you can order your REAL ID online and receive it in the mail within 15 business days.
- You can visit one of PennDOT’s 63 Driver’s License Centers, have your documents verified, and pay the one-time fee. Your REAL ID will be mailed to you within 15 business days.
- You can visit one of the 12 REAL ID Centers to have documents verified, pay the one-time fee, and receive the REAL ID over the counter at that time.
Of the 12 PennDOT centers, seven are existing driver’s license centers upgraded to allow for over-the-counter issuance of REAL ID: Williamsport, Wilkes-Barre, Rockview in Centre County, Erie, Altoona, Norristown and South 70th Street in Philadelphia.
In addition to those upgraded sites, these five new locations have been added for REAL ID service: