PennDOT: Lane Closures on U.S. 1 and Street Road Next Week
Lane closures will be in place at night next week on U.S. 1 and Street Road (Route 132), and U.S. 1 northbound ramps to and from the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-276) will be closed Sunday and Monday nights for construction activities to reconstruct, widen and improve a 1.3-mile section of the highway in Bensalem Township, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.
The work schedule is:
- Sunday, December 8, and Monday, December 9, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning, the ramp from the Pennsylvania Turnpike’s Bensalem Interchange to northbound U.S. 1, and the ramp from northbound U.S. 1 to the Turnpike’s Bensalem Interchange will be closed for removal of underside shielding on the new U.S. 1 bridge over the ramp. During the Turnpike ramp closures the following detours will be in place:
- Northbound U.S. 1 motorists will be directed to the Neshaminy Exit, turn left on Rockhill Drive, turn right on the ramp to southbound U.S. 1, then right on the ramp to the Turnpike Toll Plaza; and
- Turnpike motorists exiting at Bensalem and heading for northbound U.S. 1 will be directed to the ramp to southbound U.S. 1, turn right onto the ramp to eastbound Street Road (Route 132), then turn right on the ramp to northbound U.S.
- Sunday, December 8, through Friday, December 13, from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, northbound or southbound single lane closures will be in place periodically on U.S. 1 between Rockhill Drive and Old Lincoln Highway; and
- Sunday, December 8, through Friday, December 13, from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, eastbound or westbound single lane closures will be in place periodically on Street Road (Route 132) between Old Lincoln Highway and Kingston Way.
Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work areas because backups and slowdowns will occur. All scheduled activities are weather permitting.
The work is part of a corridor improvement project to rebuild and widen U.S. 1; replace aging bridges; and install safety enhancements along a four-mile section of the expressway from just north of Philadelphia to just north of Route 413 (Pine Street) in Middletown Township and Langhorne Borough. For more information, visit www.us1bucks.com.